I’m a big believer in that idea of what books you like say a lot about you as a person.
But more than that, I believe it’s what music we love that says a lot.
No Books, No Life.
No Music, No Life.
So here are the top 30 albums I couldn’t live without and have meant a lot to me throughout my life. And, still do.
Am I really going to do this? Yes, yes, I am. Was it difficult as hell? Yes, yes it was.
Hell, here they are!
30. Alkaline Trio — From Here to Infirmary
29. Jimmy Eat World – Bleed America
28. The Chi-Lites – A Lonely Man
27. Bloc Party – Silent Alarm
26. Dr. Dre – 2001
25. Oasis – (What’s the Story) Morning Glory?
24. Damian Rice – O
23. Jay Z – The Black Album
22. The Smashing Pumpkins – Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
21. REM – Automatic For the People
20. Counting Crows – Hard Candy
19. The Notorious BIG – Life After Death
18. Alanis Morrisette – Jagged Little Pill
17. Bright Eyes – I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning
16. Elvis Presley – Blue Hawaii
15. Eminem — The Marshall Mathews LP
14. Van Morrison — Blowin’ Your Mind
13. 2pac — All Eyez on Me
12. Elliott Smith — Either/Or
11. Johnny Cash — The Man Comes Around
10. The Rolling Stones — Exile on Main Street
9. Bob Dylan — Desire
8. U2 — The Joshua Tree
7. The Smiths — Louder Than Bombs
6. Billie Holiday / Billie Holiday
5. Bruce Springsteen — Born to Run
4. The Beatles — Abbey Road
3. Nirvana — MTV Unplugged
2. The Beach Boys — Pet Sounds
1. Sam Cooke — Live at the Harlem Square Club
What do you think of this list? Are there any you agree with? Don’t agree with? What albums are in your top 30?
Let me know. Nothing better than sharing great music.
Stephen J. Golds was born in North London, U.K, but has lived in Japan for most of his adult life.
He writes loosely in the noir/crime genres, though is heavily influenced by transgressive fiction and dirty realism.
His three novels are a trilogy of connected but stand alone novels that deal in themes of mental illness, trauma, betrayal and twisted love.
He enjoys spending time with his daughters, reading books, traveling the world, boxing and listening to old Soul LPs. His books are Say Goodbye When I’m Gone, I’ll Pray When I’m Dying, Always the Dead, Poems for Ghosts in Empty Tenement Windows I Thought I Saw Once and the story and poetry collection Love Like Bleeding Out With an Empty Gun in Your Hand.